I was doing a bit of research into the perfect New York Bagel and decided to try it at home. After a few adjustment I now have the perfect Pompey Bagel.
You will need…
500g of Strong White Flour
1 1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp sugar
(you can have seeds and stuff for toppings)
pre heat oven to 220c
- Mix the yeast and water together.
- In a mixing bowl put the flour, salt, sugar and add the water/yeast
- kneed for 10mins (or put in bread machine on dough setting)
- leave to rest for 40mins to 1hr in a warm place and cover with a damp tea towel or cling film.
- Cut dough into 8 equal pieces
- roll each piece into a ball and make a hole in the middle about the size of a 2pence coin, leave them for 1omins whilst you boil a pan of water.
- Pop the bagel in to the pan of simmering water, you can fit 2 at a time in a standard pan. after 1 min turn the bagels over.
- Remove and place on a greased baking tray, you can add seeds or grated cheese/ onion to the tops now.
- Put them into pre heated oven for 20mins until golden, ohh now enjoy.
Suggestions for fillings are welcome in the comments section, Ashley and I enjoyed Chorizo, tomato and garlic oil with a side order of Hula Hoops at the gallery yesterday. Secretly eating in the kitchen!